Saturday, June 16, 2012

Left or Right?

Are you left or right? Rational or irrational? A realist or a free spirit?

Only you can determine that, maybe you have a bit of both, maybe you aren't much of either? Maybe you'd like to be one when really you're the other?
Don't worry there's no right or wrong choice, it just means that the traits of your chosen side brain will come more naturally to you than those of the other brain - not that the other side are completely unattainable.

Only recently, after receiving this particular image (courtesy of Mercedes Benz) from a work colleague via an email forward did it lead me to question what side brain I am. I realised the reason I was struggling with the routine of the nine to five, the idea of sitting at a desk day in, day out and taking the same seat on the same train with the same people everyday was because I wasn't the office working lefty at all. Instead of being young and embracing every day while I have them, I noticed I was wishing the days away so I could go home or hit the weekend and bust out my creativeness.

After reading the characteristics of each side brain I realised one thing. I am a righty. I am a righty that shouldn't be working and living as a lefty just because it's what everyone else does.

So how can you become a righty when you're stuck being a lefty? The short-term answer to my problem was to pursue the career I've always known I wanted. With a call out of the blue asking me in for an interview - I saw it as a sign that this was my chance - and with the passionate, fun side coming out in me during the interview I successfully managed to land the best career change starting job I could ask for with a market leader. That same afternoon I handed in my letter of resignation, I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders and I was excited about what was to come.

My travel bug has now become a career and while yes it's still a desk bound job (for the time being) it's a chance for me to pursue the opportunity to finally travel the world - and get paid :) - and maybe mix it up with my other creative love, photography.

It's a small move, but I can tell it's one in the right direction. A change is as good as a holiday and perhaps such a small change will send you on your way to being a happier person and enjoying life.

WHICH ONE ARE YOU???

I am the left brain.
I am a scientist. A mathematician.
I love the familiar. I categorize. I am accurate. Linear.
Analytical. Strategic. I am practical.
Always in control. A master of words and language.
Realistic. I calculate equations and play with numbers.
I am order. I am logic.
I know exactly who I am.

I am the right brain.
I am creativity. A free spirit. I am passion.
Yearning. Sensuality. I am the sound of roaring laughter.
I am taste. The feeling of sand beneath bare feet.
I am movement. Vivid colours.
I am the urge to paint on an empty canvas.
I am boundless imagination. Art. Poetry. I sense. I feel.
I am everything I wanted to be.


No comments: